Hall of Famer Martina Hingis ends retirement to play doubles
London: Martina Hingis, fresh off her induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, will end a nearly six-year retirement to play doubles at next week`s Southern California Open, the WTA said on Tuesday.
Hingis, a winner of five grand slam singles titles, will partner with Slovakia`s Daniela Hantuchova at the July 27-August 4 tournament in Carlsbad, California.
"I am very much looking forward to making a return to competitive play at the Southern California Open," the Swiss former world number one said in a statement on the WTA website.
"My competitive spirit is still very much alive and I love being out on court."
Hingis, who won the Australian Open and Wimbledon at the age of 16, quit tennis for the first time in 2003 at the age of 22, suffering from ankle injuries. She returned in late 2006 and finished the following year ranked seventh.
However, she quit for a second time in 2007 under a cloud after she tested positive for cocaine at that year`s Wimbledon. Hingis served a two-year ban but maintained her innocence.
She also won nine grand slam women`s doubles titles and one grand slam mixed doubles title.
The 32-year-old Swiss, who has not played a WTA event since September 2007, was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame on Saturday becoming the fourth youngest player to be enshrined, following Tracy Austin (30), Bjorn Borg (31) and Hana Mandlikova (32).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley