Hanescu fined 15,000 dollars for spitting
London: Romanian tennis player Victor Hanescu was fined 15,000 dollars today after he spat at the Wimbledon crowd and stormed out of a match.
Hanescu, 28, was fined for “unsportsmanlike conduct” and “not using best efforts” after the extraordinary scenes, which also saw four young men in the crowd arrested.
Tennis officials launched an investigation into the incident in which Hanescu spat at a section of the crowd, swore at them, appeared to deliberately serve double faults then pulled out of his third round match.
Championships referee Andrew Jarrett said the world number 38 was given two separate fines.
“Following a review conducted by the Championships’ referee in association with the Grand Slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18 yesterday evening, the player Victor Hanescu has been fined 7,500 dollars for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further 7,500 dollars for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match,” he said.
“No further comment will be made by the referee or the chair umpire.”
Hanescu has the right to appeal within 10 days to the Grand Slam Administrator.
He will receive his Wimbledon prize money with the fine deducted.
Hanescu, the 31st seed, was playing Germany’s Daniel Brands yesterday on Court 18, the same 782-capacity court where John Isner and Nicolas Mahut finished Thursday the longest tennis match ever played.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days