Hewitt advances to Newport semi-final
Newport: Australian third seed Lleyton Hewitt advanced to the semi-finals of the $474,000 ATP Hall of Fame Championships with a 6-4, 6-4 victory Friday over US sixth seed Steve Johnson.
The 33-year-old Aussie, seeking his third trip in a row to the finals of the grass-court event, needed just 78 minutes to secure a quarter-final triumph in his first career meeting with the American.
Hewitt will play for a spot in Sunday`s final against the winner of a later match between US top seed John Isner, the 2011 and 2012 Newport champion, and American seventh seed Jack Sock.
Saturday`s other semi-final matchup will send Croatian second seed Ivo Karlovic against Australian Samuel Groth, who upset defending champion Nicolas Mahut of France in the quarter-finals.
Hewitt, who won his first ATP title since 2010 at Brisbane in January, lost to Mahut in last year`s Newport final and to Isner in the 2012 title match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
- Draft Bill for statehood of Delhi is ready: CM Arvind Kejriwal
- China, Japan foreign ministers hold rare talks to reduce mistrust in ties
- Cambodian passenger train back on track post years-long hiatus