Hewitt advances to Newport semi-final
Newport: Australian third seed Lleyton Hewitt advanced to the semi-finals of the $474,000 ATP Hall of Fame Championships with a 6-4, 6-4 victory Friday over US sixth seed Steve Johnson.
The 33-year-old Aussie, seeking his third trip in a row to the finals of the grass-court event, needed just 78 minutes to secure a quarter-final triumph in his first career meeting with the American.
Hewitt will play for a spot in Sunday`s final against the winner of a later match between US top seed John Isner, the 2011 and 2012 Newport champion, and American seventh seed Jack Sock.
Saturday`s other semi-final matchup will send Croatian second seed Ivo Karlovic against Australian Samuel Groth, who upset defending champion Nicolas Mahut of France in the quarter-finals.
Hewitt, who won his first ATP title since 2010 at Brisbane in January, lost to Mahut in last year`s Newport final and to Isner in the 2012 title match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened