Hewitt to play Davis Cup tie against Japan in May
Sydney: Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt has been confirmed in Australia’s Davis Cup team for next month’s Asia-Oceania second round tie against Japan in Brisbane, Tennis Australia said on Saturday.
Hewitt is on the comeback trail from hip surgery following his fourth round exit at the Australian Open in January.
The 29-year-old former U.S. Open and Wimbledon winner was knocked out of the Barcelona Open by Argentine Eduardo Schwank on Wednesday. He also played the U.S. Clay Court championships in Houston earlier this month.
“I think it is a mighty effort for Lleyton to make it back,” Australia’s Davis Cup captain John Fitgerald said in a statement.
“It speaks volumes about his commitment to Australia and to Davis Cup that he has put such a focus on playing this tie and getting us back into the World Group.”
Fitzgerald and Australian Davis Cup coach Todd Woodbridge are still deliberating on the rest of the team for the May 7-9 tie on clay in Brisbane.
The winner advances to the World Group Playoffs in September.