Hip surgery sidelines Hewitt till French Open
Melbourne: Former world number one Lleyton
Hewitt will be out of action for at least three months after
undergoing hip surgery following his exit from the Australian
The Australian world number 22, who was beaten in
straight sets by top seed Roger Federer in the fourth round,
hopes to return in time to play some European clay court
tournaments ahead of the French Open in late May.
"After I finished the Australian Open, I had to go in and
have hip surgery on my right hip," said the 28-year-old dual
Grand Slam winner, who hobbled into his press conference today
"It`s been causing a few problems since the Hopman Cup at
the start of the year. It wasn`t an easy decision to make, but
one that I felt was necessary right at the moment."
It is the second time Hewitt has had to undergo hip
The last operation, on his left hip, was immediately
after the Beijing Olympics in August 2008, and he was out of
action until January last year.
Despite the latest setback, Hewitt said he "absolutely"
had the desire to keep playing.
"I could have waited a couple of weeks, see if it settled
down a little bit better straight after playing a tournament,"
"At the end of the day, from the scans I had before the
Australian Open, speaking to the experts that I had around me,
we pretty much knew that the decision was out of my hands at
"Obviously, what I play for these days are the Grand
"If I waited any longer to have anything done, it would
have been very similar to 2008 where I prolonged it because I
didn`t exactly know what was going on and ended up missing the
US Open because of it.”
"For me having it done right now, I`ll be back ready for
the French Open."
Hewitt will now be unavailable to lead Australia in their
Group I Asia/Oceania Davis Cup tie against Taiwan in Melbourne
on March 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing