Hip surgery sidelines Hewitt till French Open
Melbourne: Former world number one Lleyton
Hewitt will be out of action for at least three months after
undergoing hip surgery following his exit from the Australian
The Australian world number 22, who was beaten in
straight sets by top seed Roger Federer in the fourth round,
hopes to return in time to play some European clay court
tournaments ahead of the French Open in late May.
"After I finished the Australian Open, I had to go in and
have hip surgery on my right hip," said the 28-year-old dual
Grand Slam winner, who hobbled into his press conference today
"It`s been causing a few problems since the Hopman Cup at
the start of the year. It wasn`t an easy decision to make, but
one that I felt was necessary right at the moment."
It is the second time Hewitt has had to undergo hip
The last operation, on his left hip, was immediately
after the Beijing Olympics in August 2008, and he was out of
action until January last year.
Despite the latest setback, Hewitt said he "absolutely"
had the desire to keep playing.
"I could have waited a couple of weeks, see if it settled
down a little bit better straight after playing a tournament,"
"At the end of the day, from the scans I had before the
Australian Open, speaking to the experts that I had around me,
we pretty much knew that the decision was out of my hands at
"Obviously, what I play for these days are the Grand
"If I waited any longer to have anything done, it would
have been very similar to 2008 where I prolonged it because I
didn`t exactly know what was going on and ended up missing the
US Open because of it.”
"For me having it done right now, I`ll be back ready for
the French Open."
Hewitt will now be unavailable to lead Australia in their
Group I Asia/Oceania Davis Cup tie against Taiwan in Melbourne
on March 5-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon