India beat Lanka 3-0 to remain in Asia/Oceania group
New Delhi: India team retained its place in the Asia/Oceania group in the Junior Davis Cup after thrashing Sri Lanka 3-0 in their last group match of the World Group qualifying round.
India had already failed to qualify for the World Group after suffering their second consecutive loss in Group D yesterday at DLTA Complex.
With the win today, which save them from relegation, India ended the group at third spot with one point and will play Indonesia, who also finished third in Group B, in the 11-16 classification match tomorrow.
Two teams each from four groups competing in the tournament will qualify for the World Group.
Fatehdeep Singh gave India a 1-0 lead after his 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Sharmal Dissanayake in a two-hour contest.
India`s top player Shaik Abdullah made it 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 thumping of Nadarjah Nishangam.
The doubles pair of Shaik Abdullah and Garvit Batra then beat the Sri Lankan pair of Sharmal Dissanayake and Nadarjah Nishangam 7-5, 6-3 to complete the win.
In the group stage, India had lost to sixth seeds China 0-3 and to fourth seeds Chinese Taipei 1-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow