India beat Lanka 3-0 to remain in Asia/Oceania group
New Delhi: India team retained its place in the Asia/Oceania group in the Junior Davis Cup after thrashing Sri Lanka 3-0 in their last group match of the World Group qualifying round.
India had already failed to qualify for the World Group after suffering their second consecutive loss in Group D yesterday at DLTA Complex.
With the win today, which save them from relegation, India ended the group at third spot with one point and will play Indonesia, who also finished third in Group B, in the 11-16 classification match tomorrow.
Two teams each from four groups competing in the tournament will qualify for the World Group.
Fatehdeep Singh gave India a 1-0 lead after his 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Sharmal Dissanayake in a two-hour contest.
India`s top player Shaik Abdullah made it 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 thumping of Nadarjah Nishangam.
The doubles pair of Shaik Abdullah and Garvit Batra then beat the Sri Lankan pair of Sharmal Dissanayake and Nadarjah Nishangam 7-5, 6-3 to complete the win.
In the group stage, India had lost to sixth seeds China 0-3 and to fourth seeds Chinese Taipei 1-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!