India blank Iran 3-0 in Fed Cup opener
Astana (Kazakhstan): Rishika Sunkara won without losing a single game while Prarthana Thombare trounced her opponent after initial resistance as India blanked Iran 3-0 in their first Pool D match of the Asia/Oceania Group II Fed Cup competition, here on Tuesday.
Rishika thrashed Ghazaleh Torkaman 6-0 6-0 in the first singles to put India ahead while Prarthana sealed the tie for the country with her 7-6(3) 6-0 Sahar Amini Hajibashi in the second singles.
Rishika then combined with Ankita Raina to beat Sadaf Sadeghvazir and her partner 6-0 6-1 in the dead doubles rubber.
Country`s top player and captain Sania Mirza did not need to take field as the young Indian girls managed to beat Iranians with quite ease.
India will next take on Pakistan tomorrow and New Zealand on Thursday. There are four Pools in the Group II competition. Three teams are in Pools A, B and C while Pool D has four teams. The four winners of each pool will play-off to determine which nation will be promoted to Group I for the 2015 competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city