India blank Iran 3-0 in Fed Cup opener
Astana (Kazakhstan): Rishika Sunkara won without losing a single game while Prarthana Thombare trounced her opponent after initial resistance as India blanked Iran 3-0 in their first Pool D match of the Asia/Oceania Group II Fed Cup competition, here on Tuesday.
Rishika thrashed Ghazaleh Torkaman 6-0 6-0 in the first singles to put India ahead while Prarthana sealed the tie for the country with her 7-6(3) 6-0 Sahar Amini Hajibashi in the second singles.
Rishika then combined with Ankita Raina to beat Sadaf Sadeghvazir and her partner 6-0 6-1 in the dead doubles rubber.
Country`s top player and captain Sania Mirza did not need to take field as the young Indian girls managed to beat Iranians with quite ease.
India will next take on Pakistan tomorrow and New Zealand on Thursday. There are four Pools in the Group II competition. Three teams are in Pools A, B and C while Pool D has four teams. The four winners of each pool will play-off to determine which nation will be promoted to Group I for the 2015 competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda