India enter Davis Cup World Group play-offs
Busan (South Korea): Top tennis player Somdev Devvarman pulled off a stunning win in the first reverse singles to enable India enter the Davis Cup World Group play-offs with a 3-1 historic win over South Korea in their Group I Asia/Oceania second round tie here Sunday.
India entered the third day of the match with a 2-1 lead and Devvarman sealed the tie for the visitors with a hard fought 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 win over Yong-Kyu Lim.
Somdev, who also had a hard fought win over Hyeon Chung in the opening round, displayed great fighting spirit in the reverse singles as well.
Lim, Korea`s top singles player, cracked under pressure despite doing well in the first two sets. Though Somdev won the first set, Lim came back strongly by winning the second set. However, Somdev was in his elements and easily won the last two sets.
The second reverse singles match between Chung and India`s Sanam Singh was cancelled since the tie was already decided.
"Unreal effort by @SomdevD to give us the win against Korea! fightttttt @rohanbopanna, #teamindiaaaaaa.." tweeted Singh.
"Beast Somdev :)," said double specialist Rohan Bopanna, who doubled up with Saketh Myneni to win the doubles match Saturday that gave India the advantage.
For India the win was sweet revenge for the 1-4 thrashing they had suffered against Korea in New Delhi last year when top players, led by Somdev, boycotted the tie. India now have 4-6 head-to-head record against Korea.
Besides India, Uzbekistan also advanced to the World Group Play-offs from Asia/Oceania Group 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state