India hope to put up a good show in Davis Cup
Chandigarh: India`s non-playing captain S P Misra on Wednesday said he is hopeful of a good performance from his team in the play-off tie of the Asia/Oceania zone from September 14-16.
In the absence of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi, Misra is hoping that youngsters would put up a good performance.
He said the Indian squad is practising very hard and added the final team will be announced before the draw ceremony on Thursday.
Misra reiterated that rankings do not play an important part in Davis Cup and it`s the performance of players on the day of the tournament which would be the deciding factor.
"We have been practicising hard and we have the capability to win," India`s lead player Yuki Bhambri said.
Vishnu Vardhan feels that the rich experience he had at the London Olympics will come in handy while local lad Sanam K Singh said that playing in front of a home crowd will be a big advantage.
"I am excited to take on Kiwis," Sanam said.
The Kiwis` non playing Captain Marcel Vos indicated that they are enthused about the fact that the Indians are low on Davis Cup experience and that the boys are quite young.
However, he feels that the competition will be tough. The Kiwis are to announce their team tomorrow.
Bhambri, who is the highest ranked individual in the team with singles ranking of 188 and doubles ranking of 194, has played for India in two Davis Cups -- against South Africa (2009) and Uzbekistan (2012).
Misra has high hopes from Bhambri, saying he expects him to win the opening day`s singles, which will help to keep the hosts in good position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?