India qualify for play-off tie after topping group A
Kuala Lumpur: Sania Mizra and Poojashree
Venkatesha scored dominating singles victories as India
drubbed hosts Malayisa 3-0 to top pool A of the Asia/Oceania
Group II competition in the Fed Cup tennis tournament here
With this win, India have qualified for the play-off tie,
the winner of which will be promoted to Asia/Oceania Group I.
Playing the first rubber, Poojashree thrashed Chin-Bee
Khoo 6-1, 6-1 to yet again give India the lead and then Sania
secured the tie with an identical win over Jawairiah Noordin
in the second rubber.
India today rested Rushmi Chakravarthy and instead
Poojashree partnered Sanaa Bhambri for the doubles rubber,
which they won 7-6, 6-2 after beating Noordin and Chin-Bee
India, who had beaten Singapore 3-0 yesterday, will meet
the Pool B topper which will be either Kyrgzstan or Hong Kong.
The tie between Kyrgzstan and Hong Kong has been
interrupted due to rain.
India were relegated to Asia/Oceania group II last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video