India qualify for play-off tie after topping group A
Kuala Lumpur: Sania Mizra and Poojashree
Venkatesha scored dominating singles victories as India
drubbed hosts Malayisa 3-0 to top pool A of the Asia/Oceania
Group II competition in the Fed Cup tennis tournament here
With this win, India have qualified for the play-off tie,
the winner of which will be promoted to Asia/Oceania Group I.
Playing the first rubber, Poojashree thrashed Chin-Bee
Khoo 6-1, 6-1 to yet again give India the lead and then Sania
secured the tie with an identical win over Jawairiah Noordin
in the second rubber.
India today rested Rushmi Chakravarthy and instead
Poojashree partnered Sanaa Bhambri for the doubles rubber,
which they won 7-6, 6-2 after beating Noordin and Chin-Bee
India, who had beaten Singapore 3-0 yesterday, will meet
the Pool B topper which will be either Kyrgzstan or Hong Kong.
The tie between Kyrgzstan and Hong Kong has been
interrupted due to rain.
India were relegated to Asia/Oceania group II last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days