India relegated in Davis Cup after Paes-Bopanna lose
Namangan (Uzbekistan): India were relegated to Asia Ocenia Group II in Davis Cup after the seasoned doubles pair of Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna lost the doubles rubber, giving Uzbekistan an unassailable 3-0 lead in the Group I tie, on Saturday.
The Indians fought hard before going down 6(4)-7 4-6 6-3 3-6 to Denis Istomin and Farrukh Dustov in a must-win encounter at the Sport Complex Pahlavon.
The Indian team was banking heavily on Paes and Bopanna to pull one back in order to keep tomorrow`s reverse singles matches consequential, after rookies Sanam Singh and Yuki Bhambri lost their respective singles matches yesterday.
But Istomin and Dustiv caused a major upset when they handed defeat to Paes and Bopanna, both of whom are ranked in the doubles top-10.
While the first set was stretched to the tie-breaker with none of the teams ready to bow down to each other, the Uzbeks did well to snatch the second. The Indians though bounced back in the third set to keep their chances alive. However, they completely ran out of steam in the fourth to surrender meekly.
Yesterday youngsters -- Sanam Singh and Yuki Bhambri -- lost their singles matches in straight sets against Istomin and Dustov, respectively in what turned out to be lop-sided contests. Sunday`s reverse singles will be dead rubber.
Bhambri would take on Istomin in the fourth singles. The only time they had met before was in Miami 2010 and Istomin emerged victorious. Asian Games gold medallist Sanam will take on Dustov in the other match.
Earlier, top doubles player Mahesh Bhupathi opted out of India`s Davis Cup tie against Uzbekistan to allow tour partner Bopanna pair with Paes.
AITA (All India Tennis Association) had said that since Davis Cup captain S P Misra wanted two singles players, the selection committee was to choose two doubles specialists from among Paes, Bhupathi and Bopanna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3