India relegated in Davis Cup after Paes-Bopanna lose
Namangan (Uzbekistan): India were relegated to Asia Ocenia Group II in Davis Cup after the seasoned doubles pair of Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna lost the doubles rubber, giving Uzbekistan an unassailable 3-0 lead in the Group I tie, on Saturday.
The Indians fought hard before going down 6(4)-7 4-6 6-3 3-6 to Denis Istomin and Farrukh Dustov in a must-win encounter at the Sport Complex Pahlavon.
The Indian team was banking heavily on Paes and Bopanna to pull one back in order to keep tomorrow`s reverse singles matches consequential, after rookies Sanam Singh and Yuki Bhambri lost their respective singles matches yesterday.
But Istomin and Dustiv caused a major upset when they handed defeat to Paes and Bopanna, both of whom are ranked in the doubles top-10.
While the first set was stretched to the tie-breaker with none of the teams ready to bow down to each other, the Uzbeks did well to snatch the second. The Indians though bounced back in the third set to keep their chances alive. However, they completely ran out of steam in the fourth to surrender meekly.
Yesterday youngsters -- Sanam Singh and Yuki Bhambri -- lost their singles matches in straight sets against Istomin and Dustov, respectively in what turned out to be lop-sided contests. Sunday`s reverse singles will be dead rubber.
Bhambri would take on Istomin in the fourth singles. The only time they had met before was in Miami 2010 and Istomin emerged victorious. Asian Games gold medallist Sanam will take on Dustov in the other match.
Earlier, top doubles player Mahesh Bhupathi opted out of India`s Davis Cup tie against Uzbekistan to allow tour partner Bopanna pair with Paes.
AITA (All India Tennis Association) had said that since Davis Cup captain S P Misra wanted two singles players, the selection committee was to choose two doubles specialists from among Paes, Bhupathi and Bopanna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?