India to host Taipei in Davis Cup first round
London: India were on Wednesady handed an easy draw for next year`s Davis Cup campaign in the Asia/Oceania Group I as they were pitted against Chinese Taipei in their first round tie, here.
It will be a home tie for India as they had played Taipei in Kaohsiung in 2009, eking out a 3-2 win over the hosts when the two teams played for the first time against each other.
Uzbekistan and Korea are the seeded teams this year and they have got a bye in their first rounds.
India are in the bottom half of the draw and if they win against Taipei in the first round, slated for January 31 to February 1, they will travel to Korea for the second-round tie.
AITA President Anil Khanna said they will decide on the venue shortly.
"It is a good draw for us. We will discuss the venue and announce that shortly," Khanna told PTI.
After a players` revolt early this year, AITA had agreed to consult players before deciding on the venue and surface for the Davis Cup home ties.
AITA is also to decide a new captain as S P Misra had his farewell tie against Indonesia in Bangalore.
India`s Davis Cup coach Zeeshan Ali expressed happiness on getting a good draw.
"Playing at home is always welcome. This year we will play with full strength team so a good chance for us to get back to the World Group," Zeeshan said.
"Taipei have a good singles player (Yen-Hsun Lu) but we should be able to beat them," he said.
In the 2103 campaign, a depleted India, sans singles and doubles stars, had suffered a 1-4 defeat against Korea but beat Indonesia 5-0 to remain in Group I.
Chinese Taipei were whitewashed by Australia and China before they managed to stay in Group I after 5-0 win against Indonesia in the relegation play-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok