India trounced 0-3 by Kazakhstan in Fed Cup
Astana (Kazakhstan): Competing against some top players in the world, a depleted Indian team was routed 0-3 by hosts Kazakhstan in their Fed Cup opener, here today.
Playing without its lone top player Sania Mirza, India had no answer to the quality players such as world number 32 Yaroslava Shvedova and 73rd ranked Ksenia Pervak, fielded by the hosts in the Asia/Oceania Group I tie.
First to take field was national hard courts runner-up Rishika Sunkara and she failed to win even a single game, going down 0-6 0-6 against Pervak in the first singles.
Kyra Shroff managed to win one game each in two sets against Shvedova in the second singles, which she lost 1-6 1-6.
In the doubles rubber, Rutuja Bhosale and Anikta Raina lost 3-6 1-6 to the home combo of Sesil Karatantcheva and Galina Voskoboeva.
India, playing in three-team Group A, next face Thailand.
The Group B comprises China, Korea, Chinese Taipei and Uzbekistan.
The winners of each pool will Play-off against each other to determine which one nation will advance to the World Group II Play-offs in April 2013.
The nation in third position in Pool A will Play-off against the nation in fourth position in Pool B to determine which one nation will be relegated to Asia/Oceania Zone Group II in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official