Indian Fed Cup team relegated to Group II again
Astana: India were relegated back to Asia/Oceania Group II in the Fed Cup competition after being whitewashed 0-3 by Korea in the relegation play-off tie, here.
Playing without its top player Sania Mirza, India finished off this year`s assignment without winning a single match in the three ties played at the National Tennis Centre.
India will now fight to get back to Group I next year after earning a promotion, last year.
Rutuja Bhosale gave it her all in the first set but lost 6-7 (5) 1-6 to So-Ra Lee in the first singles.
Bhosale, ranked as low as 605, had beaten Lee, ranked 389, last year in an ITF event Pune.
Kyra Shroff then lost 4-6 3-6 to Han Sung-Hee and with that defeat India`s hopes to stay in Group I ended.
Kyra and Rishika Sunkara then gave a walkover in the dead doubles rubber to Seo-Kyung Kang and Mi Yoo.
Earlier, India lost 0-3 to both Kazakhstan and Thailand in Pool A ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why