Indians bow out in first round of QNet women`s championship
Bangalore: Wild card Prerna Bhambri, qualifiers Rishika Sunkara, Nidhi Chilmula and Ankita Raina ended up on the losing side as all four home players lost their first round matches in the QNet Open women`s tennis championship at the KSLTA Stadium here Monday.
Prerna, ranked 670, went down to Belgian Tamaryn Hendler (212), the top seed and winner of two $ 25000 ITF Pro titles, 3-6, 2-6.
To her credit, Prerna tested the top seed to some extent in the first set. As Hendler struggled with her first serve, Prerna, with her strong forehand, posed quite a few problems. After dropping serve in the first game, Prerna broke back as Hendler committed two double faults.
However, Hendler found her bearings to break Prerna in the seventh and went on to take the set. In the second, the Belgian played far better to win 6-2.
Qualifier Rishika flattered to deceive against Italian Nicole Clerico and lost 6-1, 3-6, 2-6, while fifth seed Tadeja Majeric of Slovakia snuffed out Ankita 7-6 (5), 6-4 and eighth seeded Melanie Klaffner of Austria made a short work of Nidhi 6-0, 6-1.
The hard-hitting Croatian teenager Dona Vekic beat Tamara Curovic of Serbia 7-5, 6-4, while the second seed Akiko Omae of Japan defeated Deniz Khazaniuk of Israel 7-5, 6-2.
The results (singles, 1st round): Ai Wen Zhu (CHN) bt Agnese Zucchini (ITA) 6-3, 6-0; Tamaryn Hendler (BEL) bt Prerna Bhambri (IND) 6-3, 6-2; Akiko Omae (JPN) bt Deniz Khazaniuk (ISR) 7-5, 6-2; Nicole Clerico (ITA) bt Rishika Sunkara (IND) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2; Donna Vekic (CRO) bt Tamara Curovic (SRB) 6-3, 7-5; Melanie Klaffner (AUT) bt Nidhi Chilumula (IND) 6-0, 6-1; Tadeja Majeric (SLO) bt Ankita Raina (IND) 7-6 (5), 6-4; Melis Sezer (TUR) bt Dalila Jakupovic (SLO) 6-1, 6-4; Anja Prislan (SLO) bt Stephanie Scimone (ITA) 7-5, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets