India’s Divij-Raja storm into final of UK Challenger event
Loughborough (UK): India`s fast growing doubles player Divij Sharan earned himself a chance to win his third title of the year by reaching the summit clash of the ATP Challenger event here with compatriot Purav Raja.
The fourth seeded Indian team overcame a second set lapse and then survived a match point to edge past the experienced British pair of Jaime Murray and Josh Goodall 7-6(3), 2-6, 12-10 in the semi-finals of the Euro 42,500 hard court tournament.
Left-handed Divij, who made an impressive Davis Cup debut against New Zealand in September, has already won two Challenger titles out of seven finals this season.
He won with Vishnu Vardhan at Thailand and at Busan with Yuki Bhambri.
In the semifinals, Divij and Raja erased a 0-3 deficit to win the first set via tie-breaker. After being broken early, they forced their way back by breaking the Britons in the fourth game.
In the second set too they were the first ones to drop the serve. First they handed the advantage to the rivals on sudden death deuce points at two-all and then lost serve in the same manner at 2-4.
In the Match tie break, the Indians saved one match point and converted their third to clinch the issue.
They are up against third seeds James Cerretani of the USA and Adil Shamasdin of Canada in the finals on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3