Injured Argentine del Potro out of Indian Wells
Indian Wells: Argentine tennis player Juan Martin del Potro retired from the ATP Indian Wells Masters 1,000 tournament due to the pain in his left wrist.
World No.7 del Potro will lose 600 ranking points since last year he had been the finalist where he was defeated by Spaniard Rafael Nadal, reports Xinhua.
"I am sorry to tell you that I will not play Indian Wells` singles because I still feel discomfort in the wrist. Playing doubles helped me realise that I am not yet in good condition," said del Potro Sunday.
"I will have some days before the beginning of Miami tournament. I will follow doctor`s treatment, hoping I will be able to play there. I also thank you for your support messages," said the 2009 US Open champion.
The 25-year-old was going to debut at Indian Wells Sunday against Spanish Feliciano Lopez. He played doubles with Croatian Marin Cilic Saturday but felt discomfort in the wrist.
The wrist injury has affected del Potro in the current season, forcing him to also retire from Dubai`s tour at the end of February. The Argentine underwent a right-wrist surgery in 2010 and was inactive almost the whole year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai