Injured champion Azarenka withdraws from Cincy
Defending champion Victoria Azarenka was forced to withdraw on Tuesday from the women`s event at the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters with a right knee injury.
Officials said the tenth seed will be replaced in the draw by German Mona Barthel who plays later against Barbora Zahlavova Strycova.
Due to a foot injury Azarenka, owner of two Australian Open titles, has played just six events in 2014. Her best showings were quarter-finals in Melbourne and last week in Montreal.
"After my last match in Montreal, I tried to recover as much as possible. I started to feel a little bit better and did everything I could, but it`s just not enough time for me to feel good to play a full match," said Azarenka.
"I tried to practise, give it a rest and work with my team. It`s just not enough time. I wanted to give it my best shot until the last moment and try to do the best job as possible.
"It`s unfortunate but it`s the best decision for me."
Azarenka may have taken her decision with the US Open start in less than a fortnight in mind.
"I`m going to get more treatment and get more work done and should be good for the US Open. But I had to make this decision. I feel strongly that it`s the best for me at this moment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir