Injured Kim Clijsters confident of recovering for Australian Open
Melbourne: Kim Clijsters has been cleared of major damage to her hip and expressed guarded optimism on Saturday about recovering in time for the defence of her Australian Open title.
Belgian Clijsters, who beat China`s Li Na to win at Melbourne Park last year, retired hurt during her semi-final against Daniela Hantuchova at the Brisbane International on Friday, complaining of tightness in her hip.
An MRI scan had diagnosed a muscle spasm on Clijsters`s tensor fascia lata, a muscle on the outside of the hip, a report on the Australian Open website said on Saturday.
"With this one I kind of have an okay feeling," the report quoted the four-times grand slam champion as saying.
"If everything comes out okay it should take a little (less than) a week to get completely healed.
"I felt my left hip was getting tighter and tighter to the point I couldn`t move forward with my upper body.
"The smartest choice was not to let it get any worse and try to be right for Melbourne."
Clijsters would have intensive treatment over the next few days and have a second check-up on Wednesday, the report said.
Her fellow former world number one Serena Williams, another player to pull out of the Brisbane tournament injured, has had her leadup to the year`s first grand slam disrupted with a twisted ankle, but arrived in Melbourne on Saturday.
"I`m doing everything to heal up," Williams said on her Twitter account with a picture of her next to a private jet with her entourage.
In the men`s draw, Roger Federer remains under a cloud after pulling out of the Qatar Open with a back injury following a grinding quarter-final win over Andreas Seppi, but said he was optimistic of proving his fitness in time for Melbourne Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in