Injury sours Germany`s victory over Spain
Frankfurt: Germany were forced to forfeit a Davis Cup singles rubber through injury on Sunday having already won their World Group match against Spain.
Triple injuries meant only Daniel Brands was fit to face Spain`s Roberto Bautista Agut in the fifth and final rubber on Sunday with Germany holding a 3-1 lead.
Germany took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the World Group clash in Frankfurt on Saturday which put them into the quarter-finals away to France, who beat Australia, in April.
In Saturday`s doubles rubber Germany`s Tommy Haas and Philipp Kohlschreiber enjoyed a four-sets win over Spain`s Fernando Verdasco and David Marrero.
But the victory came at a cost with Kohlschreiber picking up a thigh problem and Haas aggravating a shoulder injury.
With Friday`s singles winner Florian Mayer also labouring with a shoulder injury, Germany captain Carsten Arriens was forced to forfeit Sunday`s opening singles rubber.
"The three players are not in a position to play, the fact we must forfeit a game is not optimal," Arriens told the 5000 spectators to jeers in the Frankfurt arena.
Ex-Germany professional Nicolas Kiefer criticised the Germans` decision to forfeit.
"It is a pity and sad, it has tarnished everything which has been built up in the last two days.
"Outwardly, this is not a good representation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- There is a limit to everything, says Kiku Sharda on Tanmay Bhat's controversial video – Details inside
- Talgo trains in India: Know more about train that is high on technology, comfort
- Kerala's Nirbhaya: HC rules out CBI probe in Perumbavoor rape-murder case
- Saudi Arabia denounces Iran over decision to not send Hajj pilgrims this year
- Vaishno Devi pilgrim dies after heart attack