Isner thanks Courier after halting Federer
London: John Isner spoiled a rare Davis Cup appearance by Roger Federer by stunning the Swiss 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-2 to give United States a 2-0 lead in their World Group first-round tie in Fribourg Friday.
Isner, involved in a record 11-hour five-minute marathon victory over Frenchman Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon in 2010, ended world number three Federer`s 15-match unbeaten run in Davis Cup singles.
"It`s one of the greatest wins of my life, no that`s wrong, it`s the greatest win of my life," Isner said in a courtside interview.
"I really owe a lot to captain Jim Courier. He was on at me in practice all week, told me to do all the right things, every single practice, hit all the right shots.
"I`m going to make mistakes, that`s how I play, but the way I played today, that`s how I need to play in all my matches."
Mardy Fish had earlier edged Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2 4-6 4-6 6-1 9-7 as Switzerland`s bid to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 2004 got off to the worst possible start against the team that beat them in the 1992 final.
Big-serving Isner, ranked 17th in the world, lost his two previous meetings with former world number one Federer, both on hardcourts, but he silenced the home crowd with an efficient performance on the clay at the Forum Fribourg.
"The mission was to go out there and not allow an artist a canvas to work with," Courier said of Isner`s victory.
The winners of the tie will play away against Canada or France in the quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre