ITF tournament: Prerna loses tamely to Kazakh rival in quarters
Pune: India`s challenge in the singles came to an end here thursday as Prerna Bhambri went down tamely to her Kazakh rival Kamila Kerimbayeva in the quarterfinals of the USD 25,000 NECC-ITF women`s tournament at the Deccan Gymkhana courts.
In a battle of two unseeded players, the 21-year-old Indian, ranked 645, was no match for her 18-year-old 393-ranked opponent and went down 3-6 3-6 to make her exit.
Kamila was on top throughout the 75-minute encounter against the Indian girl, breaking Prerna`s serve five times.
The Indian woman played a much better second set, but still lost the match to a superior and higher ranked opponent.
Kamila would meet fourth seeded Italian Gioia Barbeieri tomorrow in the semifinals.
The other semifinal will see top seed Linette Magda clashing with third seed Diana Marcinkevica of Latvia.
The loss of Sowjanya Bavisetti-Sharmada Balu in the doubles semi-finals later in the afternoon meant that the Indian challenge is over in this tournament.
Singles (Quarter finals): Linette Magda (POL)  bt Rika Fujiwara (JPN) 6-3 5-7 6-2; Diana Marcinkevica (LAT)  bt Nungnadda Wannasuk (THA) 6-3 7-5; Gioia Barbieri (ITA)  bt Keren Schlomo (ISR)6-2 6-3; Kamila Kerimbayeva (KAZ) bt Prerna Bhambri (IND)6-3 6-3.
Doubles (Semi finals): Nicha Lertpitaksinchai/Peangtarn Plipuech (THAI)  bt Ksenia Palkina (KGZ)/Jade Windley (GBR)  6-2, 6-3; Jocelyn Rae/Anna Smith (GBR) bt Sharmada Balu /Sowjanya Bavisetti (IND) 6-1, 7-6(7).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department