Ivanovic continues dominant form in Birmingham
Birmingham: Top seed Ana Ivanovic continued her dominant form at the Aegon Classic with a 6-1 6-4 quarter-final triumph over Czech Klara Koukalova in Birmingham, England on Friday.
The former French Open champion`s competition is dwindling with American third seed Sloane Stephens and number four Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium ousted, 6-3 6-1 by China`s Zhang Shuai and 6-4 6-2 by Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova respectively.
Ivanovic needed just 27 minutes to win the first set for the loss of one game as she capitalised on Koukalova`s weak second serve.
The second set was a more even affair with the Czech momentarily leading 4-3 before Ivanovic reeled off the final three games to set up a semi-final with Shuai.
The Serbian has yet to drop a set in her three matches in the grasscourt tournament.
"I really tried to do my thing because I know she can be dangerous and last time we played, in Doha, I lost," Ivanovic said. "She`s won on grass in the past and is a great competitor as she showed in her matches this week.
"I expected a tough match so from the first moment on I was trying to be really aggressive. I tried to dominate her and put pressure on her and I played really well in that first set.
"The second set was a lot tougher. She`s a tough competitor. I`m really happy to win in two sets," said Ivanovic.
The other semi-final pits Strycova against Australian Casey Dellacqua who beat 43-year-old Japanese Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-1 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened