Ivanovic continues dominant form in Birmingham
Birmingham: Top seed Ana Ivanovic continued her dominant form at the Aegon Classic with a 6-1 6-4 quarter-final triumph over Czech Klara Koukalova in Birmingham, England on Friday.
The former French Open champion`s competition is dwindling with American third seed Sloane Stephens and number four Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium ousted, 6-3 6-1 by China`s Zhang Shuai and 6-4 6-2 by Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova respectively.
Ivanovic needed just 27 minutes to win the first set for the loss of one game as she capitalised on Koukalova`s weak second serve.
The second set was a more even affair with the Czech momentarily leading 4-3 before Ivanovic reeled off the final three games to set up a semi-final with Shuai.
The Serbian has yet to drop a set in her three matches in the grasscourt tournament.
"I really tried to do my thing because I know she can be dangerous and last time we played, in Doha, I lost," Ivanovic said. "She`s won on grass in the past and is a great competitor as she showed in her matches this week.
"I expected a tough match so from the first moment on I was trying to be really aggressive. I tried to dominate her and put pressure on her and I played really well in that first set.
"The second set was a lot tougher. She`s a tough competitor. I`m really happy to win in two sets," said Ivanovic.
The other semi-final pits Strycova against Australian Casey Dellacqua who beat 43-year-old Japanese Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-1 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!