Ivanovic to meet Stosur in Moscow semis
Moscow: Fourth seed Ana Ivanovic defeated qualifier Vesna Dolonc, ranked 160 in the world, to book an encounter with top-seeded Sam Stosur in the Kremlin Cup semifinals here.
The all-Serbian quarterfinal Friday lasted for just over an hour before the former World No. 1 completed a straight-forward 6-4, 6-1 win, despite being broken twice in the first set.
"It`s never easy playing someone from your own country, especially someone you don`t know," said Ivanovic.
"I really knew very little about her. She`s a very good player. She played some great tennis at times today and I really hope she can develop and get to the top of the game."
In the semifinal, Ivanovic will meet her top seed Stosur, who in the second round eased past another qualifier Valeria Solovieva, ranked 216 in the world.
Stosur earlier strolled past Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok