Jaded Williams withdraws from Tokyo tournament
New York: Women`s world number one Serena Williams has pulled out of next week`s Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo citing fatigue, Japan`s Kyodo news agency reported on Thursday.
"I`m disappointed to have to withdraw from the Pan Pacific Open, which I was very much looking forward to playing this year," the American was quoted as saying.
"Unfortunately with the number of matches I have played throughout the summer I need more time to properly recover."
Williams, who won her fifth U.S. Open singles title this month, was the latest high-profile withdrawal from the September 22-28 tournament after Russian Maria Sharapova also pulled out last week to recover from a right shoulder injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing