Jaded Williams withdraws from Tokyo tournament
New York: Women`s world number one Serena Williams has pulled out of next week`s Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo citing fatigue, Japan`s Kyodo news agency reported on Thursday.
"I`m disappointed to have to withdraw from the Pan Pacific Open, which I was very much looking forward to playing this year," the American was quoted as saying.
"Unfortunately with the number of matches I have played throughout the summer I need more time to properly recover."
Williams, who won her fifth U.S. Open singles title this month, was the latest high-profile withdrawal from the September 22-28 tournament after Russian Maria Sharapova also pulled out last week to recover from a right shoulder injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS