Janko Tipsarevic eyes steady start in India
Chennai: Serbia`s Janko Tipsarevic hopes to build on a successful 2011 when he starts the new season as the top seed at the ATP Chennai Open from Monday.
The lanky Serb broke into the top 10 for the first time last year, capped by two titles and a memorable win over compatriot and world number one Novak Djokovic at the World Tour finals in London.
Tipsarevic, number nine in the end-of-year-rankings, described his swift rise from the mid-40s as a "dream come true" and is determined to continue his climb up the ladder.
"I never thought I could reach this far so fast only in one season," he said. "My determination made the difference."
Tipsarevic, who lost in the semifinals at Chennai last year, returns to the tournament in the southern Indian city looking to strike early form ahead of the Australian Open, the season`s opening Grand Slam.
The other top contenders include defending champion Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland, Nicolas Almagro of Spain and rising star Milos Raonic of Canada.
Wawrinka, who beat Xavier Malisse of Belgium in last year`s final, said he looked forward to another productive start to the season.
"I can`t wait to kick off the season," Wawrinka said. "I love these events at the beginning of the year and hopefully I can do as well as last year."
Wawrinka conceded he faced a tough battle in defending his Chennai Open title.
"It is a very strong field," he said. "Tipsarevic has the game to stay in the top 10, Raonic is sure to cause a few upsets this year and Almagro is always a big fighter and tough opponent. It promises to be a great tournament."
Almagro, who won three titles on clay last year, makes his maiden appearance on the hard courts of the Nungambakkam tennis stadium hoping to iron out the flaws in his game.
"I need to work on my physical and mental strengths," the 26-year-old said. "I need to improve my volley and try to be regular all through the season. I hope this will be a good week for me."
Raonic, a 21-year-old Canadian with a booming serve, was named the ATP`s newcomer of the year in 2011 after rising from world number 156 at the start of the year to number 31.
"I hope I can make an impact in this tournament and have a strong start in the season," said Raonic, who lost in the qualifiers in Chennai last year.
"I just want to keep improving my game. The rankings will follow. The serve is my biggest weapon and that puts a lot of pressure on my opponents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset