Jankovic thrashes Sam Stosur to reach semis in Dubai
Dubai: Jelena Jankovic of Serbia defeated US Open champion Sam Stosur 6-4, 6-2 on Thursday to reach the semifinals of the Dubai Tennis Championships.
The eighth-seeded Jankovic was in control throughout the match as the fourth-seeded Stosur struggled with her serve. The Australian seemed to rush her shots for much of the first set, hitting the ball early and returning it long and wide.
Stosur broke Jankovic early in the second, but the Serb broke right back and then pulled ahead 5-2 before wrapping up the match in 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Later on Thursday, defending champion Caroline Wozniacki meets the other Serbian quarterfinalist, Ana Ivanovic.
Wozniacki is the highest seeded player in Dubai at No. 3 after top-ranked Victoria Azarenka pulled out of the tournament Wednesday because of an ankle injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'