Japan beat Philippines 5-0 in Davis Cup
Osaka: Japan comfortably won the remaining two dead rubbers to complete a 5-0 whitewash over the Philippines in the Davis Cup tennis Asia-Oceania zone Group One first-round tie on Sunday.
Having already secured a place in the second round on Saturday, Japan`s top player Tatsuma Ito whipped Cecil Mamiit 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) in a shortened reverse singles, and then Go Soeda trounced Francis Casey Alcantara 6-1, 6-0.
Japan will play Australia in the second round from May 7-9, vying for a place in the play-off for the World Group. Australia defeated Taiwan to reach the second round.
The Philippine players` performance fell short of that on the first day of the best-of-three contest when Ito needed three hours and 13 minutes to score a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over 698th-ranked Treat Conrad Huey in the opener.
Number two Soeda had to come back from one set and 0-2 down before storming back to beat Mamitt, ranked 522nd, 6-7 (4/7), 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 for a 2-0 lead.
But Takao Suzuki teamed up with Toshihide Matsui to beat Huey and Mamiit 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the doubles on Saturday to give Japan an insurmountable 3-0 lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says