Japan beat Philippines 5-0 in Davis Cup
Osaka: Japan comfortably won the remaining two dead rubbers to complete a 5-0 whitewash over the Philippines in the Davis Cup tennis Asia-Oceania zone Group One first-round tie on Sunday.
Having already secured a place in the second round on Saturday, Japan`s top player Tatsuma Ito whipped Cecil Mamiit 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) in a shortened reverse singles, and then Go Soeda trounced Francis Casey Alcantara 6-1, 6-0.
Japan will play Australia in the second round from May 7-9, vying for a place in the play-off for the World Group. Australia defeated Taiwan to reach the second round.
The Philippine players` performance fell short of that on the first day of the best-of-three contest when Ito needed three hours and 13 minutes to score a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over 698th-ranked Treat Conrad Huey in the opener.
Number two Soeda had to come back from one set and 0-2 down before storming back to beat Mamitt, ranked 522nd, 6-7 (4/7), 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 for a 2-0 lead.
But Takao Suzuki teamed up with Toshihide Matsui to beat Huey and Mamiit 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the doubles on Saturday to give Japan an insurmountable 3-0 lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman