Jeevan ousts Rungkat, to meet Raja in semis of ITF meet
Mumbai: Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan continued his good run after clinching the men`s title in the senior nationals as he entered the semifinals of the USD 15,000 CCI-ITF Futures tennis tournament, here
The left-handed player, seeded 6 and ranked 400 in the world, got past Indonesian No. 1 and Davis Cupper Christopher Rungkat, seeded no 2 here and ranked 303, 7-6 (2) 6-2 in the quarters to earn a meeting in the semis against compatriot Purav Raja.
Raja, a wild card, continued his sensational run by entering the last four after shutting out James Marsalek of Great Britan, who had shocked Indian No. 3 seed Sriram Balaji in the pre-quarters yesterday, in straight sets (6-3 6-4) in 90 minutes.
The other semifinal will be between Croatian Mate Pavic, conqueror of top seeded Indian Davis Cupper J Vishnu Vardhan (who pulled out after losing the opening set) yesterday, and Taipei`s No. 4 seed Liang-chi Huang.
Pavic sent eighth seeded Indian rival Ranjeet Virali- Murugesan packing 7-6 (2) 6-1 in five minutes under two hours, while Huang defeated Nicholas Reissig of Austria 4-6 6-1 6-2 in an hour and 24 minutes.
Jeevan broke Rungkat in the 4th game of the opening set to jump to a handy 3-1 lead before the Indonesian broke back in the 7th to close the gap to 3-4. Thereafter games went with serves leading to the tie-break.
The Indian youngster won the tie-break 7-3 for the first set.
Jeevan broke his rival`s serve twice - in the 1st and 7th games - to win the second set 6-2 and book a berth in the semis.
In the clash between Raja and 20-year-old Briton Marsalek, the Indian broke his opponent`s serve in the 4th and 6th games of the first set while dropping his own serve in the 5th.
Raja and his British rival traded breaks in the 5th and 6th games before the former effected the decisive break in the 9th before clinching the second set and the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks