John Isner advances, Sam Querrey topples Kevin Anderson at Winston-Salem
New York: Two-time champion John Isner made it safely into the quarter-finals of the ATP hardcourt tournament at Winston-Salem on Wednesday, where compatriot Sam Querrey toppled second-seeded Kevin Anderson in straight sets.
Querrey, seeking a third straight semi-final appearance in the US Open tune-up, downed Anderson 7-6 (7/4), 6-4 to stretch his career record over the South African to 7-4.
"I played great out there. That was the best I`ve played all summer," said the 56th-ranked Querrey. "I was aggressive the whole time and returned well. I thought everything went pretty well."
Querrey next faces Spanish fifth seed Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, who saved two match points in a 6-7 (4/7), 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) win over American Donald Young.
Isner, the top seed, defeated 13th seed Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 6-1, 7-6 (7/3). Isner, a North Carolina native who won this title in 2011 and 2012, didn`t face a break point in the 68-minute match, firing 17 aces.
In Thursday`s quarter-finals, Isner will face seventh-seeded Czech Lukas Rosol, who beat Spain`s Pablo Andujar 1-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Taiwan`s Lu Yen-Hsun also booked a quarter-final berth, cruising past Spain`s Marcel Granollers 6-1, 6-2.
He`ll face Andreas Seppi of Italy, who beat France`s Nicolas Mahut 6-4, 7-6 (9/7).
Belgian qualifier David Goffin extended his unbeaten run to 25 matches, beating Finland`s Jarkko Nieminen 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to set up a clash with Jerzy Janowicz. Poland`s Janowicz dispatched France`s Edouard Roger-Vasselin 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
"It was a great fight and I`m really happy the way I played at the end to win this match," said Goffin, who hasn`t lost a match since his first-round exit at Wimbledon.
"Of course, after 25 matches you have a lot of confidence, you don`t think you`re going to lose, but I play every match like it`s the first one in the tournament, like it`s the first one of the season and I give everything."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city