Kerber beats Wozniacki to lift WTA Copenhagen title
Copenhagen: Former World No.1, Caroline Wozniacki saw her winning streak at the Danish Open come to an end as Angelique Kerber of Germany downed the Dane 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the title here.
Wozniacki had previously won the USD 220,000 indoor hardcourt tournament in 2010 and 2011, but Kerber brought that winning streak to a halt through her sharply-angled returns and clean forehand smashes, despite committing a number of unforced errors Sunday.
"I am very glad to win my second (WTA) title. Caroline is a great player, it was a tough match, and I showed all my skills here today," Kerber said.
The contest was closely fought from the start, but it was 24-year-old Kerber, ranked 15, who quickly went up 2-1 in the first set, and put pressure on the 21-year-old Wozniacki, ranked sixth.
Wozniacki looked rattled and seemed to lose both concentration and rhythm, as Kerber pulled ahead 1-0 in the second set. The match stopped briefly after Wozniacki slipped and hurt her ankle while returning a volley, but she resumed with a bandaged foot and ankle.
The pause helped Wozniacki rally her game, and she pulled ahead 4-1 in the second set, through some expert volleys and placement that sent Kerber racing around the centre court.
But Kerber proved resilient, winning a series of break points and five straight games, to wrap up the second set 6-4.
"I knew before the match that I had to give it 100 percent, and I did, and it was a good match played at a high level," said Kerber.
The victory brought Kerber her second WTA title overall. It is especially sweet for the German player who previously lost to Wozniacki in the quarter-finals here last year.
This year`s defeat was a deep disappointment for Wozniacki who had cruised through the main draw, winning all her matches in straight sets.
Sunday`s other final match saw Kimiko Date-Krumm and Rika Fujiwara of Japan beat Sweden`s Sofia Arvidsson and Estonia`s Kaia Kanepi 6-2, 4-6, (10-5) to lift the doubles title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow