Kirilenko downs Hermoso to advance in Mexico
Monterrey: Third seed Maria Kirilenko advanced to the second round of the Monterrey Open tennis tournament after winning in straight-sets against Ximena Hermoso.
The Russian needed 90 minutes on Tuesday to dispatch the Mexican 7-5, 6-1 and set up a second-round matchup with Serbia`s Jovana Jaksic.
Kirilenko, who has one title under her belt this season already, after winning the Pattaya City event in January, is on course for a semifinal clash with fourth seed Ana Ivanovic of Serbia.
Qualifier Jaksic earned the shot at Kirilenko with a hard-fought victory over another Russian, Vera Dushevina, 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(2).
Dushevina was one of five Russians to exit the tournament in the first round.
Germany`s Angelique Kerber is the top seed for the $235,000 WTA hardcourt event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!