Kirilenko-Petrova reach Moscow final, make Tour finals
Moscow: Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova booked the last doubles place at next week`s WTA Championships after reaching the final of the Kremlin Cup here.
The Russian pair, ranked fourth in the world, completed a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears of the United States in a rollercoaster semifinal Saturday.
The win sends them to Istanbul for the season-ending event, where they will compete with Italians Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani, Czech pair Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka and US duo of Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond.
Kirilenko will try to match Petrova`s success in winning the tour finals doubles event with Meghan Shaughnessy in 2004.
The opponents traded two breaks in the first set before Kirilenko and Petrova broke the Americans` serve to take it 7-5.
In the second set, it was the US duo who were 3-1 up when the Russians stormed back to finish off their opponents.
In the final, Kirilenko and Petrova, 2009 champions, will face their top-seeded compatriots Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi