Kirilenko-Petrova reach Moscow final, make Tour finals
Moscow: Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova booked the last doubles place at next week`s WTA Championships after reaching the final of the Kremlin Cup here.
The Russian pair, ranked fourth in the world, completed a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears of the United States in a rollercoaster semifinal Saturday.
The win sends them to Istanbul for the season-ending event, where they will compete with Italians Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani, Czech pair Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka and US duo of Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond.
Kirilenko will try to match Petrova`s success in winning the tour finals doubles event with Meghan Shaughnessy in 2004.
The opponents traded two breaks in the first set before Kirilenko and Petrova broke the Americans` serve to take it 7-5.
In the second set, it was the US duo who were 3-1 up when the Russians stormed back to finish off their opponents.
In the final, Kirilenko and Petrova, 2009 champions, will face their top-seeded compatriots Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'