Kirilenko, Petrova win WTA Championships
Istanbul: The Russian women`s tennis pair of Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova won the WTA Championships after beating Czech duo Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka here in the final.
Doubles World No.8 Petrova and No.10 Kirilenko saved three break points on their way to a 6-1, 6-4 victory in a match Sunday that lasted little over an hour.
The win, in which Petrova and Kirilenko lost only two points on serve in the first set and broke early in the second, caps a strong year for the Olympic bronze medallists.
For Kirilenko, 25, it is the first triumph at the tour finals, while Petrova, paired with Meghan Shaughnessy of the United States, won the doubles in 2004. The winners will take home a total of USD375,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley