Kukushkin stuns Youzhny to win in St Petersburg
St Petersburg: Little-known Kazakh Mikhail Kukushkin stunned top seed Mikhail Youzhny 6-3, 7-6 in the St Petersburg Open final to win his maiden title.
Kukushkin, playing in his first ATP final, broke the world number 10 twice to clinch the opening set.
The Russian served for the second set after breaking his opponent`s serve in the 11th game but the 88th-ranked Kazakh broke right back to force a tie-breaker.
Youzhny had saved a match point to win his quarter-final on Friday, then four more in beating compatriot Dmitry Tursunov in Saturday`s semi-finals, but he could not find a way past the 22-year-old from Astana.
Kukushkin dominated the tiebreaker 7-2 to seal victory after nearly 2-1/2 hours.
"What can I say, it was an amazing week for me," Russian-born Kukushkin, who moved to Kazakhstan two years ago, told reporters after pocketing the $113,600 -- by far the biggest prize of his career.
"Honestly, when the tournament started I didn`t think I would last two rounds here, but I found myself playing in the final.”
"Today I served well, played solid from the baseline, and also took my chances. That`s the secret of my success."
Youzhny, who was aiming for his third title of the year, praised the winner.
"I don`t want to look for excuses, the fact that I had to play two tough matches just to get to the final," the 28-year-old Muscovite, who won here in 2004, said.
"I would rather give credit to my opponent, who played really well today and fully deserved his victory."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened