Kvitova overcomes Errani to reach Australian Open semis
Melbourne: World number two Petra Kvitova had to fight back from a three-game deficit in the second set before she advanced to the Australian Open semi-finals with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Italy`s surprise package Sara Errani on Wednesday.
The Czech, who has played four of her five matches first up on Rod Laver Arena, found herself 4-1 down in the second set before she reeled off the next five games to maintain her quest for a second grand slam title.
The unseeded Italian, who at 1.64m tall was dwarfed by the 1.83m Kvitova, caused enormous trouble for the Wimbledon champion, putting plenty of topspin on the ball and blasting winners down the line.
The second seed also hindered her own cause by committing 44 unforced errors.
Kvitova`s next opponent will be Russian, as fourth seed Maria Sharapova, who the Czech beat in last year`s Wimbledon final, and Ekaterina Makarova face off in the fourth quarter final later on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city