Lack of trust costs India a full strength Davis Cup side
New Delhi: The ongoing Davis Cup revolt could have ended on Friday but for lack of trust on both the sides.
It has been learnt that the players were willing to make themselves available for selection after being offered the additional concession by the AITA but insisted on getting the assurance in writing.
AITA spoke to at least four players, including Somdev Devvarman, about the latest offer and asked them to give their response by 12 noon today.
Vishnu Vardhan, Sanam Singh and Divij Sharan were all aware about the offer but AITA conveyed it just verbally and did not give it in writing.
The players waited for communication via e-mail and since it never came, they stuck to their stand.
In new concessions, the federation agreed on the issue of consulting the players in selecting physiotherapist instead of approaching SAI.
It also agreed to give business class ticket to all four players even for the Asia/Oceania ties as demanded by them and also accommodated their wish of having six players in the side.
"We have never gone back on our words. They should have trusted us. We wanted them to play that`s why we made these offers. Tomorrow they could have said that we never got that in writing, what you could have done then," an AITA official said.
"One of the players said, we would discuss it and come back to you. They never came, so we went ahead with the selection," the official said.
AITA selected an inexperienced side, to be led by Leander Paes.
After the selection, Mahesh Bhupathi warned AITA on his twitter page about intensifying their fight.
"Dear AITA. 1 became 2, then 2 became 11. NEXT? You better brace yourselves for a Tsunami, we will inflict change," he wrote.
When contacted, AITA CEO Hironmoy Chatterjee said they were actually surprised when the players did not change their stand as a compromise had actually reached.
"We were expecting end of it today. The players were ready to make themselves available and one player had even discussed the press statement they were to issue about it.
"We still have that draft with us. I dont know what made them change their mind last minute. If they are saying that since they have not got it in writing, that`s why they chose not to play, it`s just an excuse," Chatterjee said.
"At least four AITA officials were in touch with the players. They asked for business class air fare and we gave them that too. When we have made so many big changes, and have given them in writing, was this such big deal that they wanted in writing," said another AITA official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read