Lacko ends Ginepri`s run; Bhupathi-Bopanna advance
Chennai: Lukas Lacko of Slovakia played flawless tennis to score a clinical 7-6 (3) 6-4 win over giant killer American Robby Ginepri to enter the quarterfinals of the men`s singles event in the USD 400,000 ATP Chennai Open tennis tournament here today.
In other matches of the, seventh seeded Michael Berrer of
Germany defeated Frenchman Stephane Robert 7-6 6-3, while
Israeli Dudi Sela, ranked 43, beat American Kevin Kim 7-6 (3)
6-2 to set up a quarterfinal clash against Lacko.
Twenty seven-year-old Ginepri, ranked 100, was today
nowhere near to the performance which he produced while
ousting top seeded Robin Soderling of Sweden in the first
Lacko, ranked 82nd, displayed a steady game today and was
bang on target during big points better. His service was also
sharper than his American opponent.
The first set went with serve which led to the tie-break
where Lacko seized the initiative to go one set up.
The Slovakian then came back from a 1-3 deficit and broke
Ginepri twice to pocket the seceond set and the match.
Meanwhile in doubles, third seeded Indian duo of Mahesh
Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna progressed to the quarterfinals
with a 6-3 7-6 (5) win over American pair of James Cerretani
and Travis Rettenmaier in the rain-affected match.
After his victory, Lacko told reporters at the post match
conference that he produced better game today compared to his
first round match.
"For me right now every win in the ATP circuit is
important. In the first round, I was rooted to the base line
but today I was comfortably placed for aggressive display," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?