Laura Robson in Round 2 of Shenzhen Open
Shenzhen: Britain`s Laura Robson booked her place in the second round of the Shenzhen Open, a major warm-up event for next month`s Australian Open, with a straight-sets win over Romania`s Edina Gallovits-Hall.
Seventh-seed Robson, 18, breezed past her opponent 6-2, 6-1 Sunday and now faces another Romanian in the second round after Monica Niculescu beat Chinese wildcard Saisai Zheng 6-4, 7-5.
Elsewhere in the draw, Taiwanese fourth seed Su-Wei Hsieh knocked out Hungary`s Melinda Czink in a 6-3, 6-2 win and now faces German player Annika Beck, who beat Spaniard Garbine Muguruza 6-2, 6-7(7), 6-4.
The USD 500,000 hard-court tournament is being played for the first time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note