Li Na books last place at WTA Championships
Beijing: Chinese star Li Na has booked the eighth and final place at WTA Tour Championships after reaching the semi-final of the China Open.
The world No.8, Li stunned reigning champion Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4, 6-2 Friday to setup a semis clash with Russia`s Maria Sharapova, and earn enough tour points to make the season-ending event.
"In the last two years I have played the best tennis of my career and I am excited to return to the WTA Championships again this year," Li said after her victory.
In 2011, Li became the first Chinese tennis player ever to reach the final tennis tournament of the year.
Last year, the 30-year-old defeated Sharapova in the first match but losses to Australia`s Sam Stosur and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus left her out of semi-finals.
In the final list of participants, Li joined Azarenka, 2004 champion Sharapova, Radwanska, 2001 and 2009 champion Serena Williams, Germany`s Angelique Kerber, 2011 champion Petra Kvitova and Sara Errani.
The 25-year-old Errani and Kerber, 24, will make their debuts at the tournament this year.
The WTA Tour Championships will be held in November in Istanbul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what