Li praises Wozniacki after both survive Sydney scares
Sydney: World number one Caroline Wozniacki received some glowing words of support from French Open champion Li Na after both players flirted with early exits at the Sydney International on Tuesday.
Denmark`s Wozniacki trailed Slovakia`s Dominika Cibulkova 4-0 in the third set of their second round encounter in the Ken Rosewall Arena before the top seed eked out a 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 victory in the final warm-up event for the Australian Open.
Chinese fourth seed Li was also taken the distance in a 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 win over South Africa`s Chanelle Scheepers, digging deep to draw on her improved fitness garnered from an intensive off-season spent in Germany.
Despite holding the number one spot for two years, Wozniacki`s lack of a major title has left some observers to question her credibility as the world`s top player but number five Li believes the Dane deserves to be regarded as the best.
"I would like to say she`s a really tough player," Li told reporters.
"Really. I mean, every time I am against her, I`m tired and cramping. She has improved a lot on her forehand because I used to see her miss a lot on the forehand," Li added.
"Now she doesn`t have any mistakes. She has two years in a row as world number one and of course the goal for her now is to win a grand slam.
"It is not easy to do, but I think she will keep going and never give up."
Li said an extended match on another hot Sydney day was the perfect way to acclimatise for the Australian Open starting in Melbourne next week.
"I have to get used to the heat," Li said.
"Melbourne will be the same weather, the same thing. At the beginning of the match I was feeling so relaxed. But she (Scheepers) can hit the ball so deep and every ball comes back. I was trying to hit too many winners."
Four weeks of fitness work in Munich during the off-season had paid off, Li said. But only just.
"Every day I had two hours for tennis and three hours for fitness. I did weights, jumping, footwork, everything... because I want my body to be healthy and fit for the whole year," she said.
"Actually, though, I was really tired in the third set today but I didn`t want to show my opponent."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp