Li steamrolls Rogowska to make third round in Melbourne
Melbourne: China`s Li Na charged into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-2, 6-2 win over local hope Olivia Rogowska in the sunshine at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday.
The French Open champion, who set the tournament alight with a brilliant run to the final last year, mowed past the 168th-ranked wild card in 62 minutes as her husband-coach Jiang Shan nodded approval from the stands.
Asia`s first grand slam champion appeared in fine touch, landing nearly 80 percent of her serves and overwhelming the 20-year-old Rogowska with raw power from the baseline.
Li captured the decisive break at 3-2 in the second set when Rogowska slapped a forehand wide and enjoyed her return to centre court, where she was beaten in the tension-charged final by Kim Clijsters last year.
"This year there`s more fans (who have) come to watch me play, the fans aren`t just from China, they`re from all over the world," she said in a courtside interview.
Li faces Anabel Medina Garrigues in the third round after the Spaniard blasted Olga Govortsova of Belarus 6-1, 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27