Li steamrolls Rogowska to make third round in Melbourne
Melbourne: China`s Li Na charged into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-2, 6-2 win over local hope Olivia Rogowska in the sunshine at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday.
The French Open champion, who set the tournament alight with a brilliant run to the final last year, mowed past the 168th-ranked wild card in 62 minutes as her husband-coach Jiang Shan nodded approval from the stands.
Asia`s first grand slam champion appeared in fine touch, landing nearly 80 percent of her serves and overwhelming the 20-year-old Rogowska with raw power from the baseline.
Li captured the decisive break at 3-2 in the second set when Rogowska slapped a forehand wide and enjoyed her return to centre court, where she was beaten in the tension-charged final by Kim Clijsters last year.
"This year there`s more fans (who have) come to watch me play, the fans aren`t just from China, they`re from all over the world," she said in a courtside interview.
Li faces Anabel Medina Garrigues in the third round after the Spaniard blasted Olga Govortsova of Belarus 6-1, 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray