Linette to clash with Fujiwara for singles ITF title
Mumbai: Polish top seed Magda Linette will clash with giant-killing qualifier Rika Fujiwara of Japan in the women`s singles finals of the USD 25000 Ganesh Naik ITF women`s tennis championships in Navi Mumbai on saturday.
In friday`s semi-final, Linette came back from a set down to defeat Kamila Keribayeva of Kazakhstan 6-8(6) 6-1 7-5 in a battle that lasted two hours and 36 minutes.
In a repeat of last week`s final, Linette had to put her best foot forward to scrape past Kamila, who managed to save a match point at 5-4 in the third set before losing.
In the other semifinal, old warhorse Rika Fujiwara stopped the winning run of qualifier Anna Smith of Great Britain 6-4 6-3 in an hour and 10 minutes to make it to her first final in over three years.
Smith combined with compatriot Jocelyn Rae to win the doubles title of the event, organised by the the Navi Mumbai Sports Association.
The British pair outplayed Oksana Kalashnikova of Georgia and Diana Marcinkevica of Latvia 6-4 7-6(5) in the final.
The British pair had beaten India`s Prarthana Thombare and Ankita Raina 7-5 6-3 in the semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...