Lisicki pulls out of Brisbane International
Brisbane: Wimbledon runner-up Sabine Lisicki of Germany has pulled out of the season-opening Brisbane International due to a gastrointestinal illness.
The seventh seed was due to meet Swiss player Stefanie Voegele in the second round on Wednesday.
Voegele now progresses straight to the quarter-finals where she will play the winner of the match between second seed Victoria Azarenka and Australian wildcard Casey Dellacqua.
Meanwhile, Lisicki`s fellow countrywoman Angelique Kerber moved into the quarter-finals when her opponent, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, withdrew during their second round match with an injured left thigh.
Fifth seed Kerber was leading 6-2, 4-3 when Pavlyuchenkova, who appeared to injure her leg early in the second set, was forced to concede.
Kerber will take on fourth seed Jelena Jankovic in the quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list