Longest match in history winner exits Wimbledon in shortest match
London: John Ishner, who triumphed in the longest tennis match in history beating his opponent at Wimbledon in an epic 11 hours and five minute encounter, lost to his opponent in the shortest match of the tournament so far.
The American reached the second round after the longest match ever, taking 183 games and 11 hours and five minutes to beat Nicolas Mahut.
The final set alone contained 138 games before Isner triumphed 70-68.
On Friday, Isner was beaten in just 23 games spanning 74 minutes, the shortest match of the men`s singles this year. Dutchman Thiemo De Bakker romped home 6-0 6-3 6-2.
Isner produced a world-record 112 aces against Mahut, but did not manage one against Bakker.
"It was brutal. When I went out there and hit that first serve and it didn`t have much behind it, I knew I was in for some trouble," The Sun quoted Isner, as saying.
"I was mentally and physically drained. But I wasn`t gonna quit. It wasn`t like I was dying out there. I was just tired," he added.
Isner is now flying home to Tampa for a rest. "I`m going to have to stay off my feet as much as possible. I`ll take in the World Cup, I`ll go fishing, just anything away from the tennis court," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death