Lorenzi, Isner advance at Houston tennis
Houston: Seventh-seeded Paolo Lorenzi overpowered Austrian qualifier Gerald Melzer 6-2, 6-2 in the opening round of the ATP Tour`s US Clay Court Championships.
The 31-year-old Italian Lorenzi, who won the doubles title at Vina del Mar earlier this year, blasted three aces, had two double faults and won 68 percent of his first-serve points on Tuesday.
It was the first career match between world No. 62 Lorenzi and the 22-year-old Melzer, who is the younger brother of Austrian star Jurgen Melzer. Jurgen was runner-up at Houston in 2006.
Lorenzi next faces countryman Flavio Cipolla, who beat Argentine qualifier Facundo Arguello 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
In the night match, returning finalist John Isner engineered a 7-6 (7/4), 6-4 win over Ryan Harrison. Isner finished runner-up to Argentine Juan Monaco last year in Houston.
In other matches Tuesday, American Robby Ginepri notched his first tour-level win in more than a year as he rolled over eighth seed Michael Russell 6-2, 6-2.
In another all-American first round match, wild card Jack Sock converted his two break points chances to beat qualifier Bradley Klahn 7-6 (7/3), 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- RBI wants to liberalise while strengthening bond markets: Raghuram Rajan
- After Rio Olympics failure, Tintu Luka's uncle blames coach PT Usha for below-par training
- Narsingh Yadav would have won the silver, claims WFI official
- PM Modi, Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states on Saturday
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption