Lu books Memphis quarter-final
Fourth-seeded Lu Yen-Hsun of Taiwan rallied for a three-set victory over US qualifier Denis Kudla on Thursday to reach the quarter-finals of the US National Indoor Tennis Championships.
Lu, 30, downed Kudla 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 to set up a clash with another American qualifier, Alex Kuznetsov, in the $647,000 ATP event.
Kuznetsov toppled eighth-seeded Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7/1).
Lu will be hoping to improve on his career-best season start. He is 8-2 in 2014 and reached his first ATP Tour final last month in Auckland.
Second-seeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez and third-seeded Australian Lleyton Hewitt were to open their Memphis campaigns later Thursday with second-round matches.
Lopez, who fell to Japan`s Kei Nishikori in last year`s final here, faced Croatian Ivo Karlovic while Hewitt was up against Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus.
Nishikori, ranked 17th in the world and a top seed for the first time at an ATP event, booked his quarter-final berth on Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Germany`s Benjamin Becker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends