Lu books Memphis quarter-final
Fourth-seeded Lu Yen-Hsun of Taiwan rallied for a three-set victory over US qualifier Denis Kudla on Thursday to reach the quarter-finals of the US National Indoor Tennis Championships.
Lu, 30, downed Kudla 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 to set up a clash with another American qualifier, Alex Kuznetsov, in the $647,000 ATP event.
Kuznetsov toppled eighth-seeded Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7/1).
Lu will be hoping to improve on his career-best season start. He is 8-2 in 2014 and reached his first ATP Tour final last month in Auckland.
Second-seeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez and third-seeded Australian Lleyton Hewitt were to open their Memphis campaigns later Thursday with second-round matches.
Lopez, who fell to Japan`s Kei Nishikori in last year`s final here, faced Croatian Ivo Karlovic while Hewitt was up against Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus.
Nishikori, ranked 17th in the world and a top seed for the first time at an ATP event, booked his quarter-final berth on Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Germany`s Benjamin Becker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani
- Hizb commander who blasted Kashmir telecom towers killed
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video