Madrid Open: Serena Williams beats Maria Sharapova to lift title
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: World no 1 Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-4 in straight sets to lift the Madrid Open title for the first time in over a decade on Sunday.
The battle between the top-two female tennis players lasted for one hour and 18 minutes in which the American emerged victorious and in the process defended her top ranking as well.
"This court definitely plays more like Roland Garros, so I think that`s a plus. It`s a little slower than it was last year and plays more like a true clay court so I think it`s great preparation,” Williams was quoted as saying after the match.
Serena is now eyeing the second grand slam of the season -- the French Open -- that begins later this month in Paris.
"I wanted to last year and I didn`t get it. So this year I`m just looking forward to Rome, and then after that Roland Garros, and see what happens," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic
- Stunner Shilpa Shetty gives ultimate 'summer fashion' goals in crisp white!
- Is Delhi on terror radar? This week's bus explosion in Haryana hints at 'something big'
- Lionel Messi due to go on trial in Spain for tax fraud