Madrid Open: Serena Williams beats Maria Sharapova to lift title
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: World no 1 Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-4 in straight sets to lift the Madrid Open title for the first time in over a decade on Sunday.
The battle between the top-two female tennis players lasted for one hour and 18 minutes in which the American emerged victorious and in the process defended her top ranking as well.
"This court definitely plays more like Roland Garros, so I think that`s a plus. It`s a little slower than it was last year and plays more like a true clay court so I think it`s great preparation,” Williams was quoted as saying after the match.
Serena is now eyeing the second grand slam of the season -- the French Open -- that begins later this month in Paris.
"I wanted to last year and I didn`t get it. So this year I`m just looking forward to Rome, and then after that Roland Garros, and see what happens," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof