Mahesh Bhupathi asks the Sports Ministry to intervene
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mahesh Bhupathi on Monday asked the Sports Minister Ajay Maken to intervene in the tennis crisis involving the French Open doubles champion and Leander Paes.
Earlier in the day Sports Minister Ajay Maken had tweeted regarding the issue. “ We can send 2 teams, why send 1? Hidden question is on who should pair Sania? Why disturb victorious Grand Slam mixed double pair?”
"AITA had indicated to 2 teams could be sent," said Bhupathi as quoted by a leading newspaper.
"AITA has overlooked my and Rohan`s (Bopanna) world number 7 rating," he stated, adding that the association`s decision to overlook his and Bopanna`s successful pairing has "baffled" them.
Mahesh Bhupathi had earlier written a letter to AITA stating that he won’t partner Leander Paes in doubles at London Olympics.
This came after Bhupathi publically alleged Paes, his former doubles partner, of backstabbing him and refused to partner him despite AITA announced their decision to send a doubles team consisting of him and Paes for London Olympics.
With AITA not ready to backtrack and announce different partner for Bhupathi, the Bangalore-based player will have no option but to miss out the Olympics berth and to possibly face sanction because the All India Tennis Association had categorically said it would not change the players` combination for the London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'