Mahesh Bhupathi asks the Sports Ministry to intervene
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mahesh Bhupathi on Monday asked the Sports Minister Ajay Maken to intervene in the tennis crisis involving the French Open doubles champion and Leander Paes.
Earlier in the day Sports Minister Ajay Maken had tweeted regarding the issue. “ We can send 2 teams, why send 1? Hidden question is on who should pair Sania? Why disturb victorious Grand Slam mixed double pair?”
"AITA had indicated to 2 teams could be sent," said Bhupathi as quoted by a leading newspaper.
"AITA has overlooked my and Rohan`s (Bopanna) world number 7 rating," he stated, adding that the association`s decision to overlook his and Bopanna`s successful pairing has "baffled" them.
Mahesh Bhupathi had earlier written a letter to AITA stating that he won’t partner Leander Paes in doubles at London Olympics.
This came after Bhupathi publically alleged Paes, his former doubles partner, of backstabbing him and refused to partner him despite AITA announced their decision to send a doubles team consisting of him and Paes for London Olympics.
With AITA not ready to backtrack and announce different partner for Bhupathi, the Bangalore-based player will have no option but to miss out the Olympics berth and to possibly face sanction because the All India Tennis Association had categorically said it would not change the players` combination for the London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP