Makarova stuns Kvitova in Eastbourne
London: Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova inflicted a straight sets defeat on World No.4 Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the first round of the AEGON International tennis tournament in Eastbourne Tuesday.
Six double faults from second seed Kvitova simplified the task for World No. 48 Makarova, who won 7-5, 6-4.
Makarova`s next opponent will be either young British Laura Robson or 49th ranked Maria Martina Sanchez of Spain.
Elsewhere, Klara Zakopalova beat Jie Zheng of China in a tight match 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Zakopalova will definitely face a fellow Czech in the second round, either ninth seed Petra Cetkovska or Andrea Hlavackova.
Eastbourne serves as the final major women`s warm-up event for Wimbledon, which gets underway Monday.
The tournament has prize money of USD637,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa