Makarova stuns Kvitova in Eastbourne
London: Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova inflicted a straight sets defeat on World No.4 Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the first round of the AEGON International tennis tournament in Eastbourne Tuesday.
Six double faults from second seed Kvitova simplified the task for World No. 48 Makarova, who won 7-5, 6-4.
Makarova`s next opponent will be either young British Laura Robson or 49th ranked Maria Martina Sanchez of Spain.
Elsewhere, Klara Zakopalova beat Jie Zheng of China in a tight match 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Zakopalova will definitely face a fellow Czech in the second round, either ninth seed Petra Cetkovska or Andrea Hlavackova.
Eastbourne serves as the final major women`s warm-up event for Wimbledon, which gets underway Monday.
The tournament has prize money of USD637,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic