Makarova stuns Kvitova in Eastbourne
London: Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova inflicted a straight sets defeat on World No.4 Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the first round of the AEGON International tennis tournament in Eastbourne Tuesday.
Six double faults from second seed Kvitova simplified the task for World No. 48 Makarova, who won 7-5, 6-4.
Makarova`s next opponent will be either young British Laura Robson or 49th ranked Maria Martina Sanchez of Spain.
Elsewhere, Klara Zakopalova beat Jie Zheng of China in a tight match 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Zakopalova will definitely face a fellow Czech in the second round, either ninth seed Petra Cetkovska or Andrea Hlavackova.
Eastbourne serves as the final major women`s warm-up event for Wimbledon, which gets underway Monday.
The tournament has prize money of USD637,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonam Kapoor with Shah Rukh Khan in a film? Here's what the diva has to say!
- Space station gets ready for expansion of inflatable capsule 'BEAM' today
- India home to 56 of the world's 2,000 largest public companies: Forbes
- SRH vs KKR, IPL 2016: Kuldeep's spell; Yuvraj's knock; Bhuvi-Mustafizur's accuracy – three talking points
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video