Makarova stuns Kvitova in Eastbourne
London: Russia`s Ekaterina Makarova inflicted a straight sets defeat on World No.4 Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the first round of the AEGON International tennis tournament in Eastbourne Tuesday.
Six double faults from second seed Kvitova simplified the task for World No. 48 Makarova, who won 7-5, 6-4.
Makarova`s next opponent will be either young British Laura Robson or 49th ranked Maria Martina Sanchez of Spain.
Elsewhere, Klara Zakopalova beat Jie Zheng of China in a tight match 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Zakopalova will definitely face a fellow Czech in the second round, either ninth seed Petra Cetkovska or Andrea Hlavackova.
Eastbourne serves as the final major women`s warm-up event for Wimbledon, which gets underway Monday.
The tournament has prize money of USD637,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP